Thursday, March 29, 2018

Photography Composition Rules

            Tomorrow I will be doing another photoshoot to generate photos for my magazine and blog. Last time, I had some difficulty getting my pictures to turn out exactly the way I wanted them to. My biggest issue was finding the best lighting, however there are many rules that I will need to remember in order for tomorrow's shoot to be better than the last.

So here are my.....

                           TOP 10 PHOTOGRAPHY COMPOSITION RULES: 

1. RULE OF THRDS- I will imagine that my image is divided into 9 equal segments by 2 vertical and 2 horizontal lines.I should position the most important elements in my scene along these lines, or at the points where they intersect. 

2.BALANCING ELEMENTS- Placing my main subject off-centre, as with the rule of thirds, creates a more interesting photo. I can achieve a balanced composition and even out the main subject's "visual weight" by including another object of lesser importance to fill the space. 
*example:  Road sign with building behind


3. LEADING LINES- When we look at a photo our eye is naturally drawn along lines. By thinking about how I place these leading lines in my composition, I can affect the way people view my image. There are many different types of line - straight, diagonal, curvy, zigzag, radial etc - and each can be used to enhance my photo's composition.

4. SYMMETRY AND PATTERNS- We are surrounded by symmetry and patterns. They can make for very eye-catching compositions, particularly in situations where they are not expected. Another great way to use them is to break the symmetry or pattern in some way, introducing tension and a focal point to the scene.

5. VIEWPOINT- Our viewpoint has a massive impact on the composition of photos, and as a result it can greatly affect the message that the shot conveys. By shooting from eye level, from high above, down at ground level, from the side, from the back, from a long way away, from very close up, and so on will all change message that my image conveys.

6. BACKGROUND- Finding a plain and unobtrusive background and composing my shot so that it doesn't distract or detract from the subject will ensure that my subject does not blend into a busy background.

7. DEPTH- I can create depth in a photo by including objects in the foreground, middle ground, and background. Another useful composition technique is overlapping, where I purposely partially obscure one object with another. 

8. FRAMING- The world is full of objects which make perfect natural frames, such as trees, archways and holes. By placing these around the edge of the composition I can help to isolate the main subject from the outside world. The result is a more focused image which draws the eye naturally to the main point of interest.

9. CROPPING- Often a photo will lack impact because the main subject is so small it becomes lost among the clutter of its surroundings. By cropping tight around the subject I can eliminate the background distractions, ensuring that the subject gets the viewer's undivided attention.This can be done in post production.

10. EXPERIMENTATION- I can take tons of photos and sort through what I like and what I want to delete during post production. Taking advantage of this fact and experimenting with my composition is important because, I will never know whether an idea will work until I try it.

* These guidelines will help me enhance the impact of my photos.

Sources:

20 Composition Techniques That Will Improve Your Photos. (2016, September 15). Retrieved March 30, 2018, from https://petapixel.com/2016/09/14/20-composition-techniques-will-improve-photos/

The Big List Of Photography Composition Rules, Tips, and Tricks For Photographers Of All Skill Levels. (2017, February 16). Retrieved March 30, 2018, from https://www.photoblog.com/learn/big-list-photography-composition-rules/

Digital Camera. (2018, January 19). The 10 rules of photo composition (and why they work). Retrieved March 30, 2018, from https://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/10-rules-of-photo-composition-and-why-they-work-1320770

Magazine Publishing Ltd. (n.d.). 9 Top Photography Composition Rules You Need To Know. Retrieved March 30, 2018, from https://www.ephotozine.com/article/9-top-photography-composition-rules-you-need-to-know-17158


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Magazine: CULTURE

Here is my magazine.............CULTURE! This has been an amazing journey and I hope you guys love it like I do. ...